Friday, March 13, 2009

Ride Log - 13 March 2009

I decided I'm going to start a riding log. I love to ride my '08 Hyosung GV 250. I take just about any chance I can to get my head in the wind. Since I bought the bike last summer I've already logged about 9,000 Km (~5,400 miles; the bike is Korean with the gauges in Km). I've been able to ride to work about half of the days of January and February. If it's dry, I'm ridin'. Is it cold? YES! But, I bundle up well and I usually avoid frostbite and hypothermia before I get to work. One day I'll invest in some electric vests and gloves. But I've found I can tolerate a 45-60 min. ride in 25 degrees or higher.

(Morning temp: ~25F; wind: ~7 mph NW; Conditions: Clear, dry, sunny. Clothing: Jacket with liner, Neoprene face mask, leather chaps, Flannel-lined jeans, heavy gloves, Helmut (always).)
Good ride this morning. A little busy on the on-ramp to I-80. A pick-up w/ trailer 3 cars ahead started to change lanes and nearly ran a small car off the left shoulder. Good reminder to check your sides and pay attention to the 2, 4 and 12 second rules (2 second following, 4 and 12 second ahead awareness). Big chunk of plastic and debris in the center lane of I-15 and 33rd south. Patrolman on the side of the road trying to figure out how he's going to get the junk off of the moning commute freeway. Another reminder to SEE (See, Evaluate, Execute). Looking forward to this afternoon's ride in 45F.

-----

Evening ride. Comfortable ride with temps in the high 40's. No incidents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment